USTA Family Days
Historically, USTA has provided one day in the Fall, that was called USTA Day, where many different learning opportunities are available to teachers and their families and students all over the state of Utah. This has grown over the years to be what we call USTA Family Days where these many activities are scheduled over many different weekends throughout the year to allow teachers and their families to attend multiple great activities.
USTA Family Days for 2017 are here:
- Antelope Island, September 10, 2016. Free admission to Antelope Island Park.
Spiral Jetty, October 1, 2016. Time TBD. Great Salt Lake Institute will focus on science aspects of the Spiral Jetty. How to make Winogradsky columns (microbe ecospheres), low cost microbe culture techniques, and astrobiology through the Genetic Science Learning Center.
- Attendees are advised to bring water, food, and water-proof boots, along with weather appropriate clothing.
- We ask that visitors "leave no trace," by carrying out anything they bring with them. Please leave the natural environment exactly as you found it, this means not painting rocks, leaving black fire pits, or stamping on vegetation.
- Spiral Jetty is visible when water levels are below approximately 4,195 feet. To view water levels at the Great Salt Lake click here.
- Trilobite Day--Utah Earth Science PD. October 15, 2016. Sign up through Ontrack #37469. This two-hour workshop by Genevieve Atwood (Earth Science Education) provides earth science content during Trilobite Day at U-Dig quarry, Millard County. The workshop is held at noon and assumes participants will hunt for fossils before and/or after the workshop. The fee for teachers on Trilobite Day is $25 per adult and $15 per youth (all day). Age 6 are free with paying adult. If you are with children and taking the workshop, there must be an additional supervising adult. The quarry provides safety glasses, rock hammers, and buckets for rocks. Location: U-Dig Quarry, North on Death Canyon Rd (32 mi west of Delta), Delta, UT 84624. Email Genevievie if you have any questions: email@example.com
- Mrs. Cavanaugh's Chocolate Factory Tour - October 21st from 11:00 am to 12:00 pm. Come join us for a guided tour of the Mrs. Cavanaugh's Chocolate Factory in Salt Lake City. See how science and engineering come together to create some of our favorite chocolatey sweets. And yes, the tour does include free sampling! Children and families are welcome to attend. The cost is $1.00 per person. Hope to see you there! There is a limit of 30 participants so make sure that you register for this event. Meet at 835 Northpointe Circle, North Salt Lake City, 84054.
- Christa McAuliffe Space Center Join the USTA for an evening of space, simulated learning, adventure, and fun at the Christa McAuliffe Space Center on Wednesday, October 26 from 6:15-8:45 pm. Located at 95 North 400 East Pleasant Grove, UT 84062 (inside Central Elementary school). The cost is normally $12-$16 a participant but they will only charge $7.50 a person for our group (to cover the cost of operating that evening). Please sign up using this Google form by October 25th. Friends and family are invited as well and you will be asked in the Google form how many will be in your group for that evening. Once signed up you will be able to pay for your spots that evening at the Space Center. Please know that due to the nature of the learning simulations the age limit to attend this event is 9 years old and older (per request of the Space Center). If you have any questions please email Ashley Russon (firstname.lastname@example.org).
PAST USTA Family Days: